WHAT IS YES-APPALACHIA?
YES-Appalachia is an educational non-profit organization established in 2015, in partnership with GEAR UP at Appalachian State University. We identify high-achieving, low-income students from the counties of Ashe and Watauga in Western North Carolina and equip them with the resources, support, and academic skills required for success through high school, college, and career. YES-Appalachia is committed to providing long-term holistic support services that meet students' needs at every milestone along their educational journey.
- Increase access to educational opportunities for promising, young leaders from rural Appalachian communities
- Empower historically underrepresented students to embrace educational opportunities, critically engage with new ideas, and strengthen self-advocacy practices in order to make college success an attainable goal
- 100% matriculation and graduation from universities for all YES-App scholars
YES-Appalachia's support services for students begin the summer after 6th grade and continue through high school, college, and career placement.
YES support services include, but are not limited to:
- Weekly in-school YES sessions focused on challenging students academically
- In-house summer camps at Appalachian State University
- Saturday sessions that foster curiosity and academic engagement
- Independent student projects presented at national YES symposium
- High school application support for students interested in specialized schools or selective public and private schools
- Support in accessing and applying to competitive external extracurricular activities
- Individualized college preparation advising
- Access to internships and educational programming across the country
To learn more about YES-Appalachia and our recruitment process, please visit our website.